A really simple dessert that requires no cooking, just put everything together for the fruit compote adding just enough sugar to suit your own palette. Then whip the cream, which is much easier when the bowl, whisk and cream are very cold. And that´s it. Either chill or serve immediately. Add flavouring to the cream or leave it simple and allow the strawberries to shine, with the Grand Marnier!
2.25 litres fresh ripe strawberries – clean, remove calyx, quarter
120 ml Grand Mariner or orange liqueur of choice
35 to 65 grams unrefined icing sugar, sifted
30 ml (2 tbsp) freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
240 ml chilled double or heavy cream
15 grams unrefined icing sugar – sifted
- Put the prepared berries, liqueur and 35 grams of sugar with the lemon or lime juice into a large baking bowl, stir gently then taste and add more sugar, if required.
- Cover and leave to stand at room temperature until juices form (minimum of 30 minutes).
- If not using immediately, cover the bowl with clingfilm and chill in the fridge until required.
- Chill a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Pour the chilled cream into the chilled bowl, whisk until it begins to thicken then sift over the sugar, continue whisking until soft peaks form.
- If not using immediately, cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge.