12 by 15 cm square sheets filo pastry, (cut from 3 large filo sheets)
50 grams unsalted butter, melted
4 large bananas
80 grams unsalted butter
50 ml aged dark rum
100 grams natural brown sugar
1 tub French vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C, (374ºF or gas mark 5).
- Place the filo squares under a dampened tea towel, remove three squares.
- Place the first one onto a flat surface and brush with a little melted butter.
- Top with the second and third, brushing each with melted butter – arrange so that the corners are like the face of a clock, each corner pointing to a number from 1 to 12.
- Fit into an individual 7.5 cm metal tart tin or ramekin, prick the base with a fork.
- Repeat with remainder.
- Repeat for the other baskets, making four in all; transfer to a baking tray and bake in the centre of a preheated oven for 5 minutes, or until light golden colour and holding their shape.
- Remove from the oven and lift the filo baskets out of the tins, place upside down on the baking sheet, cook for four minutes more, or until evenly brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Trim ends from the bananas, peel and cut in half lengthways.
- When ready to serve, place a non stick frying pan large enough to hold the bananas in a single layer.
- Add the butter, allow to melt then lay the bananas into the pan.
- Gently fry for three minutes, turn and cook the second side after sprinkling with brown sugar.
- When sugar turns to liquid around fruit, pour in the rum and flambé – allowing the flames to die down naturally – tip, do not pour in the rum from the bottle, transfer to a jug, protect your hands first, then pour into the pan.
- Place the baskets onto four dessert plate
- Add a scoop of ice cream into each basket.
- Top each with two halves of bananas, drizzle the rum syrup over the bananas and ice cream.
- Serve immediately.