The combination of bilberries/blueberries and lime is wonderful, especially so in this bread (or brioche) pudding. It is one of the simplest desserts to make when time is short. For an extract blueberry flavour, serve with a fresh blueberry or bilberry compote.
4 large fresh eggs plus 2 egg yolks
500 ml whole milk
400 ml double cream
100 West Country or Yorkshire clotted cream
85 to 100 grams natural brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
2 level tsp (1 level dessert spoon) finely grated lime zest
350 grams brioche or good quality unsliced white bread
115 grams fresh wild bilberries or cultivated blueberries
60 grams dried bilberries or blueberries
Unsalted butter, softened – for the dish
To serve – chilled thick pouring cream or West Country or Yorkshire clotted cream
- If using unsliced white bread, remove the crusts then cut into 1.25 cm cubes, if using Brioche, just cut 1.25 into cubes.
- Generously brush a 26 cm by 36 cm glass ovenproof baking dish with softened unsalted butter.
- Put the eggs, egg yolks, milk, cream, clotted cream, brown sugar, vanilla and zest into a large bowl, whisk until well blended.
- Add the cubes of bread or brioche and dried berries, gently stir until well blended, transfer to the prepared ovenproof dish.
- Cover and leave to soak, in the fridge, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC, 320ºF, gas mark 3.
- Bake one shelf above the centre for approx. 50 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned, I prefer the pudding to have a little “wobble” in the centre.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then serve with thick pouring cream.
Simple Wild Bilberry or Blueberry Compote
500 grams fresh bilberries (if not available, frozen wild bilberries)
5 tbsp unrefined caster sugar
1 tsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- Place half of the berries and all of the sugar into a large saucepan.
- Cook, over a medium heat, until the berries begin to burst – around 5 to 6 minutes.
- While still hot, strain through a muslin lined sieve set over a bowl – discard sieve contents.
- Leave the juice to cool then mix in remainder of the berries and lime or lemon juice.