Remove lemon zest (without pith) using a vegetable of very sharp paring knife. If the lemons are not unwaxed, wash under warm running water with a soft bristle brush first.
600 ml double cream
3 by 2.5 cm strips lemon zest
6 large fresh egg yolks
1 level tbsp cornflour – sifted
55 grams golden caster sugar
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sifted cornflour and sugar in a medium bowl using a wire balloon whisk, put to one side.
- Place the citrus zest and cream into a saucepan over a gentle heat, warm to just below simmering point while stirring constantly with a whisk, cover and leave to infuse for a few minutes.
- Slowly – in a thin steady stream – pour the warmed milk and cream through fine sieve into the eggs while whisking continuously.
- When all the cream has been added and the mixture is smooth, return to a clean saucepan and place over a gentle heat – continue whisking until the custard thickens, the mixture creamy and smooth.
- This should occur when you reach simmering point – pour into a jug or bowl and cover the surface with clingfilm, allow to cool.