This is a dairy free and simple sponge cake made with fresh lemons and topped with lemon icing. When whisking to egg whites, ensure the bowl and whisk or beaters are clean, dry and free of any grease, it is best to use a metal or glass bowl.
8 large fresh egg whites – 125 grams golden caster sugar – 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
8 large fresh egg yolks – 125 grams golden caster sugar
120 grams plain white flour
3 grams fine sea salt
2 large lemons, finely zested – preferably unwaxed
Juice from the 2 lemons
55 grams unrefined icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180ºC, 355ºF, Gas mark 4.
- Butter two 20 cm cake tins, lightly dust with flour, tipping out excess.
- Put the egg whites into a mixing bowl, whisk until frothy, sift in the cream of tartar, beat until soft peaks form then gradually add the sugar while whisking until stiff and glossy.
- Whisk the yolks and sugar in a separate bowl until pale and increased in volume – the whisk should leave a trail when removed.
- Sift in the flour, add the zest and mix until fully incorporated.
- Mix in one quarter of the egg whites, fold in remainder.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and bake for 20/25 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out on to a wire rack set over a tray, leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice and whisk until blended, drizzle over the warm cake and leave to finish cooling.