It is the time of year when sponge puddings offer the comfort we need in winter, especially when living in Spain in houses that have little or no heating. British puddings are comfort food at its best and cannot be beaten. Lovely when served with vanilla custard.
30 grams unsalted butter
30 grams unrefined caster sugar
1 large fresh egg, lightly beaten
60 grams self raising flour
2 tbsp golden syrup (or 1 tbsp each of golden syrup and Miel de Cana)
- Lightly butter a microwave safe bowl
- Beat all the other ingredients together in a baking bowl until smooth
- Spoon into the prepared dish, cover with a microwaveable lid or cling film (pierce the cling film using a fine skewer)
- Microwave on full power for approx. 4 minutes 650 watt (3½ minutes 800 watt).
- Watch closely as the cooking progresses, as a general rule the pudding is fully cooked when it is firm and just dry on the surface and well risen.
- Many advise not put syrup or jam in the bottom of the basin as it may burn, it is preferable to warm sauces separately and drizzle over the pudding just before serving.