I love Strawberry tarts but am not too keen on the Crème Pâtissière on which the berries are usually arranged or the over sweet jam or glaze brushed over the top. Strawberry season here in Spain is in full swing and they are fabulous – large sweet and very very tasty.
This is a simple recipe, easy to make, good to eat.
350 grams ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry
150 ml double cream or crème fraîche
1 tbsp lemon or lime curd
1/2 punnet fresh strawberries
3 tbsp high fruit strawberry jam, 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- Preheat oven to 180ºC, 355ºF, gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease four 10 cm flan/tart tins with butter.
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a Euro coin, cut out four circles, using a saucer./li>
- Lay one circle of pastry into each tin.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes, remove paper and beans, bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before filling.
- Whisk the cream until thick, stir in the lemon or lime curd.
- Prepare the berries – remove the calyx, cut into slices.
- Spoon the cream into the pastry cases, arrange the berries in concentric circles beginning in the centre until the lemon cream is covered.
- Warm the jam and lemon or lime juice, sieve and brush over each berry.